Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Take A Picture, It'll Last Longer

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m12/k5083/Tuscon%202012/Untitled-5.jpg
It's amazing what you can learn from a photograph.

I don't have a lot of things from my father's house--baggage, but that's another story.  What I do have are a lot of pictures.

My parents didn't really take a lot of pictures, but my grandfather was an avid photographer.  He documented life at home and he took a lot of pictures on his trips.

What's fascinating to me about these images is that they were capured by a photochemical process that resulted in deeply saturated colors that make the subjects look like they walked off a movie set in the late 1940s.  It's the same kind of heightened reality. 

Connected the people in these images with people I actually knew is a real challenge.   When I knew my grandfather he was in the twilight of his life and seemed to react to having his picture taken in the same way that mobsters and Sean Penn do.  What comes out in the pictures I have is someone who was a bit of a clothes horse and who loved to pose.  And in just about every shot, he looks as though he is too busy to deal with the photographer.  He is always looking off to one side and seems to be making plans for whatever the next thing is.

A really good picture can capture a lot of different truths about is subject.

We are fortunate to be able to offer the talents of a really good photographer through the courtesty of Marcy Lane Photos.  The winning bidder will receive an 11 x 14 print of a family photo, graduating senior, or special birthday girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment